About Me

Phoenix, AZ, United States

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Message received...

Today is the first day of the year that I am without a sweater or extra layer of clothing. I sit at work, with the front and back doors wide open, allowing the balmy air to flow through the store. I feel good, really good and I must say I like it, the feeling good part.

I read through 2 Peter last night which opens with the idea that God has "given us all things that pertain to Godliness," and that this would equip us to fulfill the call to live a life of virtue.

This morning I made it through some chapters in 1 John which spends it's pages expressing the idea of striving to live a holy life, and not loving the conventions of the world...then I listened to a podcast from Chip Ingram on my way to work about finding the right motivation for change. Chip states that guilt and selfish ambition were common motivators for people, but were ineffective.

When I arrived at work, I found an email forward from my cousin Kathy about finding the blessings behind things we generally complain about. For instance:
"I am thankful for the parking spot I find at the far end of the lot, because it means I am capable of walking."
And now, I feel the beginnings of spring, the warmth of sun against my skin...

I guess I've itemized these tiny happenings to suggest maybe, they are all speaking to me today. And though I'm not quite sure how it all comes together or what it might be that God is trying to communicate, I find comfort in the fact that they were expressed in the first place...

What I wouldn't give to go for a hike right now...! I am thankful for being alive to enjoy a day like this.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

hmmm... you apparently don't live in the midwest. We have like a foot of snow. spring??!


That is only a fairytale here. hehe.

J said...

:) Yeah, just wait till summer, every other blog will be about how unpleasant 115 degrees is. - Joe