About Me

Phoenix, AZ, United States

Monday, February 18, 2008

Prescott

On a whim, late yesterday afternoon I decided to drive up to Prescott. I ended up booking a hotel room and staying the night, and I'm still here. Not sure what prompted me to make the trip, especially alone, but I'm glad I decided to. I guess I wanted different surroundings, I wanted to do some reading without the normal background noise I've grown so accustomed to. I wanted to think and talk to God with less of the common distractions. I wanted to feel alone, because I was in fact alone for a change...

Anyway, I chose about the perfect time to make the drive...I only wish I had a camera (not on my phone) to capture some of the sights. The sun was setting when I got into the mountains somewhere around Yernell and I was surrounded by some breathtaking views. Honestly, I had trouble keeping my eyes on the road...I love how the hills change colors as the sun sets...first from brown to red and then to a regal purple. Being Sunday afternoon, traffic was light...actually it was lighter than light. At one point on highway 89, I was able to walk out onto the middle of the freeway; there wasn't a soul around for miles...I found only complete silence, with the exception my shoes crackling against the lonely asphalt. Here's a poor photo I took with my phone camera- I was standing more or less on a yellow line...


It's a two way road with a highway speed limit...I think I've always wanted to be able to do this...but for no deep reason. I think I could have taken a short nap right there, completely undisturbed. There was just vastness, a wide open desert, no signs of life...no clutter...just complete serenity.

At the moment, I'm sitting in my hotel room after having had lunch at a local B.B.Q place in downtown Prescott, it was pretty delicious...pulled pork, cold slaw and mash potatoes, it was very homemade and very fulfilling.

I'll be heading home shortly so I should enjoy what hours I have left here... I think I might just sit on the patio (yeah the rooms are pretty nice), light up a cigarette, sip some coffee and maybe do a little reading before I start the drive back into the city... I really like this town.

No comments: