About Me

Phoenix, AZ, United States

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Goodbye

There stands a sign outside the store window, a sign unfamiliar to me. Red and black letters, and the phone number of some realtor, nailed to a white wooden post.

It is a sign that things are again changing in my life.

A few moments ago I said goodbye to a couple that I have come to grow very fond of over the last 2 months. They are snow birds who enjoyed their summer in the valley and today, they will begin their trek back to Iowa. The ice and snow has melted now along the giant miles of farmland and a new found season invites them back to the place they call home...

We shared many a great talks together and their hugs felt real.
I will miss them and with the business closing, my future hanging in the balance of uncertainty, I'm not sure when I will see them again...

There is no permanence...

It was the French scientist Blaise Pascal, who penned these words in his Pensees:

We sail within a vast sphere, ever drifting in uncertainty, driven from end to end. When we think to attach ourselves to any point and to fasten to it, it wavers and leaves us; and if we follow it, it eludes our grasp, slips past us and vanished forever. Nothing stays for us...


Where will life take me from here? At the end of April, the final pages of this story, this business venture of nearly 6 years will be written. It will become a thing of the past, merely a resevoir from which I will draw distant memories...and I will begin to speak about it in the past tense. Too soon, a time will come when effort is required in the retelling of a funny or strange incident that occured and upon sharing such an anecdote with a friend, I will find myself questioning the clarity of the details... I will hesitate and close my eyes and journey through a scattered rolodex...and perhaps mistake real moments for elements of a dream.

I long for eternity today.

2 comments:

Jen ♥ Brady said...

The unknown and saying goodbye can be the toughest times of our lives, especially saying goodbye. One thing I have learned from my father's passing is how to say goodbye. Granted your friends aren't dying but a time of your life is and it's rough. But this is also an exciting time because God has a clean slate to take you where He wants you to go, whether geographically or spiritually. :o)

J said...

Thank you for taking the time to stop in and offer your words of encouragement. I agree with you, that the unknown though difficult can be exciting as well. Little by little my entire life seems to be changing...but God is in it all. Thank you for the reminder.